We are seeking to employ a CFD Specialist/Wind Engineer to work within our London-based office and join our computational research team (p.art).
What is the role?
AKT II are seeking a specialist in computational fluid dynamics and wind engineering to join our growing Bioclimatic Design Team. With our practice, you will gain the opportunity to work on some of the most interesting and complex buildings around the world with current complete projects in over 40 countries.
For more information on AKT II and the type of projects our practice is involved with please refer to our website www.akt-uk.com/projects
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Carry out detailed CFD simulations assessing pedestrian wind comfort and structural loading on buildings, utilising our in-house developed software toolkit.
- Interpreting simulation results and advise/work in close collaboration with the wider design team, both internally and externally, to further develop the design of buildings.
- Conducting analyses with an understanding of international building code specification for wind.
- Preparation of reports, technical papers and presentations in supporting project design and submissions for Environmental Impact Assessments and planning applications.
- Contribute to the development of our in-house software toolkit, to expand its use into new areas of expertise within the field of environmental analyses.
- Help coordinate and execute CFD-related research activities within AKT II, including wind-induced buildings response.
- Planning and coordinating all technical aspects of assigned projects, working under the general supervision of senior staff with considerable latitude for the exercise of independent judgment.
- Attend team meetings with both internal and external disciplines.
- Day-to-day support to colleagues from other disciplines within the office.
We’d like to hear from you if you have:
- Knowledge of the design of structures, knowledge and application of wind sections of building codes (i.e. EN 1991-1-4, NBCC, ASCE-7), structural dynamics and fluid mechanics
- An aptitude for practical problem solving and proven ability to successfully meet deadlines
- The ability to work on or manage a number of projects at once
- Programming experience in computer languages (e.g. C++, C#) or scripting languages (e.g. Matlab, Python) an asset
- Experience in visual programming (Rhino, Grasshopper) will be an asset
- An understanding of the CDM Regulations and designers responsibilities
- Good analytical skills
- The ability to work in a team environment
- An interest in good architecture and communicating ideas
- Exceptional organisational capabilities, coordination and consultation skills
- An ability to work in a fast-paced team environment with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s level degree in Structural, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related field
- A background in Wind Engineering of Structures is preferred
- Experience, competency and flexibility to rise to challenging situations and take on responsibility appropriate to their capability
- You will have the opportunity over time to assume greater levels of responsibility and autonomy as your professional skills develop, and you will be supported towards chartership through IStructE / ICE