We are seeking to employ Senior Engineers to work within our Cambridge based office.
What is the role?
This position would be best suited to an experienced engineer, with a desire to work alongside an innovative group within a design-led company. You would be working within our Cambridge office with a team of engineers working on many different projects both inside and outside the UK.
AKT II has delivered a wide variety of projects, and our current workload includes several high-profile projects. See our project page for examples: https://akt-uk.com/projects
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for specialist structural engineering design projects across different sectors such as commercial, health, retail and more.Attending project meetings and liaising with other disciplined whilst producing detailed designs and specifications in line with design and construction programmes.
- Ensuring the co-ordination of design and detailing work appropriate to the projects.
- Internal management of projects and associated resourcing where appropriate.
- Carrying out structural surveys of building/desk study’s and providing initial advice on any issues that may arise.Preparation of detailed design calculations to British Standards, Eurocodes and relevant design guidance notes using relevant 3D software packages.
- Interpreting the client brief and assist in preparing designs at all stages from scheme through to detail.
- Preparation of detailed design drawings and specifications for Tender purposes.
- Responding to client requests for information.
- Attending of Design Team meetings with clients, other design collaborators and communicate design ideas through sketches, models and presentations.
- Assisting in the production of construction information for issue to contractors.
- Visiting sites during the construction phase to monitor progress and provide advice to contractors.
- Co-ordinating design information with engineers of other disciplines.
- Day-to-day support to colleagues from other disciplines within the office.
- Attend team meetings with both internal and external disciplines.
- Acting independently to investigate solutions, you will explore options, work closely with partners and peers alike in order to develop and communicate design solutions.
- With the support of the Team Leader, provide technical guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team.
- Where appropriate, facilitate and organise meetings and CPD training events to contribute to your own development and the development of others.
- Support and participate in AKT II’s Technical agenda.
We'd like to hear from you if you
- Can demonstrate your sound knowledge of structural design in concrete and steel structures, as well as experience in other structural materials.
- Are able to show experience of working with Eurocodes and British Standards.
- Can demonstrate a strong analytical knowledge and understanding of engineering principles, combined with practical understanding of buildings and construction.
- Have the ability to design and deliver structural solutions on major and/or complex projects.
- Have the aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive.
- Have a desire to work constructively in a team, finding holistic building design solutions.
- Have a good understanding of multidisciplinary requirements into coordinated solutions.
- Are an inquisitive, creative, solution-orientated designer. You will be a collaborative, persuasive and engaging individual who gives their all to ensure the client is happy and that the solution is high-quality and practical.
- Have excellent planning, organisational and time management skills, with the ability to balance tasks and prioritise to meet strict deadlines.
- Have the ability to communicate soundly and have great interpersonal skills.
- Are computer literate with a good knowledge of design and analysis programmes.
- Have an exceptional understanding of the CDM Regulations and designers responsibilities.
- Good degree in Structural / Civil Engineering.
- Experienced Chartered Engineer (either IStructE or ICE or equivalent), recently Chartered or near-chartered.
- The ideal applicant will be able to demonstrate their experience, competency and flexibility to rise to challenging situations and take on responsibility appropriate to their capability.
- It is expected that the successful candidate will have at least 5 years experience in the area of Structural Engineering.