We are seeking to employ a senior façade designer to work within our London-based office, under our AKT II Envelopes Team.
What is the role?
This role is best suited to an experienced façade designer with design/detailing background who will collaborate with architects and other building professionals to design and deliver the envelope for high-spec buildings in the UK and abroad.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design of project details under the guidance of a team leader or Associate Director.
- Producing concept sketches, detailed designs, calculations and reports in accordance with project programmes.
- Liaising with other disciplines and ensuring the coordination of design and detailing work appropriate to the project.
- Interpreting the client brief and assist in preparing designs at all stages from scheme through to detail.
- Review and evaluate design deliverables to advise on compliance with specifications and industry guidance/standards.
- Coordinate with project teams to resolve project related issues and ensure deliverables are met.
- Maintain internal document control of drawings.
- Edit specifications to clarify the technical requirements of the design.
- Review façade contractor’s tender returns and design submissions.
- Witness testing of façade systems.
- Undertake factory visits and site inspections.
- Acting independently to investigate solutions, you will explore options, work closely with partners and peers alike in order to develop and communicate design solutions.
- Responding to client requests for information.
- Attendance at Design Team meetings with clients, other design collaborators and communicate design ideas through sketches, models and presentations.
- Where appropriate, facilitate and organise meetings and CPD training events to contribute to your own development and the development of others.
We’d like to hear from you if you
- Have experience of developing and presenting ideas to architects, clients and contractors in meetings.
- Have the ability to communicate ideas and develop concepts using hand sketches.
- Are competent in the use of 2D and 3D CAD software, preferably Revit and Strand.
- Have an understanding of the principles governing thermal performance, condensation risk, etc and how they are applied in façade design.
- Have an understanding of how the principles of structural mechanics are applied in façade design.
- Have the ability to research and evaluate materials and system options to keep knowledge up-to-date.
- Have knowledge of materials and installation techniques.
- Have the ability to compile well-written text with suitable images.
- Are familiar with façade system designs, fabrication and assembly techniques.
- Have knowledge of relevant National/International standards and codes for façades.
- Have the ability to understand and react to design changes and budget constraints.
Qualifications / Experience
- Relevant degree (Facade Engineering, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Structural Engineering, etc.)
- At least 5 years of experience as;
- A façade consultant,
- A designer for specialist facade subcontractor,
- Or an architectural technician specialising in façades.