We are looking to employ a Senior Specialist in Masonry Façades for heritage buildings to work within our London based office.
What is the role?
The position would suit a façade engineer, structural engineer, architect or contractor with relevant experience and a desire to work within an innovative group. You would join our Building Envelopes team which is composed of individuals from engineering, architectural and contracting backgrounds, operating in a cross-disciplinary environment.
AKT II has delivered a wide variety of refurbishment and heritage projects and our current workload includes several high profile, historic buildings. See http://www.akt-uk.com/projects/?category-2%5B%5D=23 for more on our projects.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing expert technical advice on all matters pertaining to masonry façades, including retained and replacement façades to heritage buildings.
- Working within our Envelope engineering team to deliver services on all refurbishment projects.
- Assisting and informing our structural engineering teams on projects with retained façades.
- Responsibility for aspects of project design from bid-stage to completion.
- Attendance at interviews and client meetings to discuss the technical aspects of a project and our proposed approach.
- Liaising with the wider design team to develop coordinated design proposals.
- Delivery of drawings, specifications and reports to satisfy design and construction programmes.
We’d like to hear from you if you can
- Carry out site inspections and condition surveys of existing masonry façades.
- Make recommendations for the repair, replacement, cleaning and maintenance of existing façades.
- Prepare design details for remedial and replacement works.
- Communicate design proposals with sketches, drawings and presentations.
- Prepare specifications for new and refurbished masonry façades.
- Use relevant design and analysis software to support your proposals.
- Assess thermal performance and condensation risk. The ability to carry out thermal analysis is desirable, but not essential, as other members of our team can do this.
- Calculate structural properties of proposed wall build-ups. Again, the ability to perform structural analysis is desirable, but not essential.
- Evaluate the effects of structural movements and tolerances on the durability of the façade.
- Advise on appropriate protection measures for retained façades during construction.
- Advise on stone selection and testing.
- Contribute to end of stage design reports.
- Maintain positive and productive relationships with specialist subcontractors.
- Review contractor’s design proposals and calculations.
- Inspect quarries and stone working facilities to monitor quality control procedures.
- An appropriate engineering or architectural qualification and evidence of CPD.
- The applicant should have at least 5 years experience and be able to present five examples of completed projects where the applicant has played a significant role in design and delivery.
- The ideal applicant will be able to demonstrate their experience, competency and flexibility to rise to challenging situations and take on responsibility appropriate to their capability.